Summer don’t leave us! It’s about this time every year that I want to fit in as much summery fun as possible, into each and every weekend. So here are a few of those things that made me happy in July.
1. McMenamin’s Grand Lodge Hotel – The Grand Lodge is about a 45 minute drive from Portland, in Forest Grove. Like all the McMenamin’s hotels, there’s a lot of history surrounding the place — The Grand Lodge use to be a Masonic convalescent home. It might sound a little creepy, but it’s totally not! It’s a perfect (quick) weekend getaway from Portland, and way more fun with a group. We spent the day playing disc golf, hurling bocce balls around the grounds, drinking at the outdoor pub and snacking on our farmer’s market haul, attempted to watch a movie (which broke! That’s what happens when you try to watch a Vin Diesel movie), lounged about the soaking pool, and played pool. A giggle-worthy and great weekend.
2.Playing bocce – I joined a bocce league — it’s super low-key.
3. 4th of July weekend: Waterfront Blues Fest, biking around, fireworks on the Eastbank Esplanade, and I made a cherry tart. America! [email protected]% yeah!
4. event planning @ Ace Hotel – finalized our Meet, Plan, Go! Portland venue for Oct 18. Woo!
5. first tomatoes from garden – golden, cherry, and early girl <3 gardening
6. working at Barista & Crema – I spent quite a few afternoons this month at Crema and Barista with an iced coffee, sunshine, and fresh air — the perfect antidote for post-lunch food coma.
7. Oregon coast – I never tire of visiting Oswald West State Park. It’s my favorite totally-not-a-secret Oregon beach that always seems to still be secret enough to have a little area to yourself. Trumps Cannon Beach.
8. Rose gardens – summer has been lagging a bit this year, so during an early July visit to the Rose Gardens, roses were still in full bloom. Gorgeous.
9. Fountains & biking – <3 biking and all the fountains around town.
10. Macarons! My favorite Macarons in Portland are from Two Tarts Bakery. So while at Little Bird a couple weeks ago, I thought it was adorable that they give you a mini macaron with your bill. On the way out, I noticed this tray of macarons. Too cute.
Hooray for summer!