In December, I like to reflect on the year — highlight the big moments, think about the challenges, and ultimately focus on the things I want to remember, before jumping into planning for the new year. While some years are remembered as predominately joyful or painful — 2014 was a pretty positive year. I’ll take it when I can!
2014 marked my first full year of self-employment, moving into a real house in Portland that finally feels like home, getting engaged, tons of travel, running, food, friends, and family time.
Some of my 2014 things that I’m proud of:
- Visited 3 new countries – Portugal, Czech Republic, Germany
- Worked and lived in Valencia, Spain for a month
- Saw my sister and baby niece 4x – Feb, June, July, December
- Ran three races – a 15k in March, a 10k in May, and my second half marathon in August
- Ran 280 miles
- Moved into a real house – and learning the quirks of an early 1900s farmhouse – so much charm, nothing is square!
- Slowly decorating our home – I’m still using the Apartment Therapy philosophy
- Started a monthly Breakfast Club
- Focus on traditions – advent calendar, Memorial Day trip, summer list, Breakfast Club etc.
- Hosting: a house warming party, Breakfast Club 2x, and family for Christmas
- Visited a new North American city: Portland, Maine and Boston!
- Survived my first year of business at Early Bird Strategy
- Post half-marathon focus on overall fitness and strength
- took 4 “mini break” trips! (meaning: local or west coast – Bend, Victoria, Vancouver, Kennewick)
- days traveling: 98 and 46,504 miles; new countries: 3, total countries: 5 (Spain, Portugal, Canada, Germany, Czech Republic)
- read 4,163 pages (or so Goodreads tells me)
2014 in Pictures:
JANUARY: FLORIDA + NORTHWEST OUTDOOR WINTER TIME
FEBRUARY: FAMILY VISIT + SNOWY GETAWAY + EPIC SNOW DAYS
MARCH: 15K IN PORTLAND + MADRID & PORTUGAL TRIP
APRIL: LIVING IN VALENCIA, SPAIN – PRETENDING TO BE A LOCAL
MAY: BEND, OREGON + 10K + HOUSE HUNTING + KAYAK CAMPING
JUNE: FAMILY VISITING + VICTORIA, BC + PACKING HOUSE
JULY: MOVE TO NEW HOME + NIECE’S 1ST BIRTHDAY IN KAILUA
AUGUST: RUNNING! + GARDENING + 2ND HALF MARATHON IN BC
SEPTEMBER: FALL! + GOT HEADSHOTS FOR BIZ + CAMPING IN HOOD RIVER
OCTOBER: BREAKFAST CLUB + FALL ADVENTURES + GERMANY & PRAGUE
NOVEMBER: BERLIN + GOT ENGAGED + MAINE & BOSTON
DECEMBER: HOLIDAY FUN + HOSTING FAMILY CHRISTMAS FOR THE 1ST TIME
Happy New Year!