Week 2 of Cook at Home month has me revisiting some old recipes, including Tofu Stirfry Wraps. I originally adapted this recipe to be veg-friendly about five years ago, and as much for my Beastie Boys title tribute, I have yet to buy a wok. My food pictures, however, have improved in the last five years thanks to my kitchen iPhone photography.
This recipe is based on an Everyday Food recipe for Chicken Stir-fry wraps, but I use tofu instead. I really like the freshness of this recipe, with the bell pepper, onion and ginger combo giving it a lot of flavor.
Tofu Stir Fry Wraps
- 1 package firm or extra firm tofu, cube
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 6 to 8 Butter lettuce leaves, (about 1 head, also called Boston or Bibb lettuce)
- Prep Work: This recipe doesn’t take long to cook, so you need to have things ready to go. Slice the onion and bell pepper, have the garlic ready to “press”, grate the ginger, mix the cornstarch/water in a bowl, and wash the lettuce.
- Cube the tofu, season with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat. Add the tofu; cook, stirring/flipping every few minutes, until almost golden brown, 4 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate, set aside. (If the tofu is still too soft, you can also put it on a cookie sheet and bake/broil it for a bit)
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to pan, along with the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender and golden, about 2-3 minutes (reduce heat if browning too quickly).
- Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in soy sauce, rice vinegar and cornstarch mixture; remove from heat.
- Add tofu; toss to coat. Serve in lettuce cups.