Ah spring – the worst is over! Every year it’s the same feeling, like by the end of February you begin to believe that the grey and rain is just not going to end this time. But it does and it’s always worth it. Seeing blossoms all across the city makes me a little giddy.
Here are some things I love about spring in Portland…
- cherry blossoms at Waterfront Park
- blossoms in general, all around the city
- escaping the rain
- Japanese gardens
- last basketball games
- rum horchata at Por Que No
- rollerskating at Oaks Park
- Tulip Festival!
- fair weather biking
- colorful macarons
- laughing yourself silly at Bridgetown Comedy Fest
- new bike accessory shopping or bike spring tuneup
- Mt Hood loop
- PSU farmer’s market weekend (chard!)
- mud hiking at council crest
- Rose Festival
- spiced chai at Extracto Coffee
- first spring flowers
- cheese plates at The Observatory
- OMSI After Dark
- spring trips to the coast
- Cheers to Belgium beers festival
- antiquing in Sellwood
- spring sunsets (& gaining an hour of daylight)
- outdoor brunch again!
- meandering the Eastbank Esplanade
- shows at Doug Fir or Miss Studios
- beers by the fire at Base Camp
- waterfall hikes in the Gorge
- the start of Pedalpalooza (June is still spring!)
- waving farewell to spring with summer equinox from the Hawthorne Bridge
What’s your favorite thing about spring?
Portland Spring was originally published in 2013, and has been updated for 2015.