Last month, I was beyond ready for spring to show up, and now I can’t wait for summer to arrive. So as April is quickly passing, it’s high time I do another 10 Things That Make Me Happy post. So without further ado, here are 10 things that put a smile on my face…
- Portland Farmers Market opening – It’s been a long winter, so March 19 was like Christmas morning! I’m excited to have the PSU Farmer’s Market back open — it’s one of my favorite Saturday morning routines during the summer. While there wasn’t as much produce available as later in the season, I still ended up spending all my cash, and headed home with: jonagold apples, carrots, havarti from Willamette Valley Cheese Co (a fav!), ciabatta from Pearl Bakery, a honey stick, and Dave’s killer bread. And the chard was the most beautiful colors! We followed our Farmer’s Market visit with a drive up to Council Crest, which turned into an impromptu hike to OHSU, took the tram down to the South Waterfront Zipcar, drove to Council Crest to get the car, dropped off the Zipcar and then filled up on my favorite sandwich at Bunk Bar. Phew! portland farmers market
- Bar Method – I’ve tried Bar Method a few times at Lululemon and once at their studio. It’s a brilliant workout and a lot of fun, but the drop-in prices aren’t something I want to add to my budget (example: at $22 a class, that’s like buying 15 classes instead of my previously mentioned lovely bicycle). So I was excited to that they were at Lululemon 1x/week for the month of March. I couldn’t ask for a better price :) bar method $free
- The Oatmeal at Powells – The Oatmeal comics are a major part of my lol folder in Google Reader. It was fun to catch his quick talk at Powell’s while he was on his way through town promoting his new book, 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth. Fun to hear the backstory on a few of the comics, his inspiration, and random silliness. powell’s $free
- Dandy Warhols at University Chapel – I snagged tickets to all three of Hotpot PDX’s Best Ever Shows series, and made it to two. The Dandy’s tickets were by far the most elusive, but such a fun show and a really chill space (nothing like listening to ‘Heroin is So Passe’ in an old church). That Courtney Taylor-Taylor… so naughty.
- Happy hour at Ping – After being sick off and on for a few weeks, it was fun to finally be out of “recovery” mode and spend a lazy Saturday, happy hour-ing at Ping with coworker Jessica and recent Portland transplants Kate, Patty, and Ryan (but minus Doniree & Chris who got sidetracked with a Zipcar and the Oregon coast… something I’m a little too familiar with!). ping $15-ish
- Foodportunity – I won two passes to Foodportunity from Eater PDX last month. It was a nice diversion to stop by, chat to local chefs, and snag some tasty bites. A fav was the white bean radicchio with octopus from Beaker & Flask. foodportunity $free to me :)
- Mini dinner party for 4 – I’ve been in my new place for almost a year now and had yet to cook for more than 2 people! So I made my favorite lentil soup, and served it with bread and Brie. Success!
- Liam Finn @ Doug Fir – I don’t remember when I first starting listening to Liam Finn… probably off Pandora, but I love his sound, so when I saw on the Doug Fir list that he was going to be here in March, I got a little giddy and put it on my calendar. Those kiwis. :) I took a few short videos with my iPhone, but this one is the whole song, Second Chance. doug fir $12
- IKEA kitchen cart thing – I love, love, love my kitchen, but if I could change one thing, I would request more counter space. When I’m cooking more than one thing at a time, I start precariously stacking things everywhere: counter, cupboards, table… this combined with my love for kitchen gadgets, and I run out of space quick. So I decided to add to my disturbingly large IKEA collection with the super cheap BEKVÄM kitchen cart. ikea $60