June in Portland is one of my favorite months of the year! Summer is just starting, roses are blooming, berry season is on the way. And we’re already counting down how to best use our 91 days of summer. So June holds a lot of promise and long-awaited summer weather. No pressure, June! Plus, since most of June is still technically spring (summer solstice is June 20, 2024), any sunny and dry weather feels like a nice surprise!
The weather in Portland in June has an average high temp of 73°, and average low of 53°. But remember that’s average. So we always have some weekends of rain and some weekends of 80s or 90s as well throughout June. But in typical Northwest style, we have to be prepared for any weather, especially in the first half of the month. So here’s more info about visiting Portland in June – weather, events and my favorite things to do in Portland at the beginning of summer! Jump to:
Portland June Events
June has some great summer events. Downtown and the Waterfront stay busy all summer long!
- Rose Festival – June 1-8, 2024. Rose Festival starts at the end of May and goes into June. With events, music, rose court, CityFair and finally the Grand Floral Parade with floats.
- Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade – June 8, 2024. The Rose Parade caps off the two week Rose Festival celebration with a parade through Portland.
- Pedalpalooza Bike Summer & World Naked Bike Ride – Pedalpalooza is now 3 months of bikey fun, with events every day from sunrise to even all-night rides. There’s pretty much something for everyone, even family-friendly rides. The most popular being – Music/musician themed rides (Prince vs Bowie in 2016), Loud n Lit, and of course WNBR – the World Naked Bike Ride. Aug 12, 2023.
- Tigard Hot Air Balloons Festival – June 21-23, 2024. Hot air balloon launches, tethered rides, and family fun.
- Sunday Parkways – Northeast Cully Neighborhood – TBD 2024. June 25, 2023. Sunday Parkways is a car-free bike ride on various routes throughout the city. It’s a much-loved City of Portland program in different quadrants of the city to highlight neighborhood greenways and bikeways and is a family-friendly event!
- Portland Beer Week – June 14-23, 2024. PDX Beer Week is full of fun beer events (like Portland Beer & Cheese Festival), collaborations and tap takeovers and releases, popups and more. And it’s not just for industry people, but fun for more casual beer drinkers and locals too. Other June beer festivals (depending on the year) include: International Beer Festival, Fruit Beer Fest, Cider Summit, and Hillsdale Brewfest.
- Portland Sandwich Week – TBD 2024. June 5-11, 2023. Another of Portland Mercury’s self-created food and drink events! $8 specialty sandwiches at various Portland restaurants.
- RIP Bridgetown Comedy Festival – this annual event took a hiatus in 2018, but is a hoot and brings some big names in comedy and features local talent as well. With comedy shows across a few venues around town. Hoping this one comes back soon!
Things to Do in Portland in June
There’s so much to do in Portland in summertime! It’s the season to be in the great PNW. And why us locals wait around through all the drizzle and grey. Beyond events, June is a great time to do berry picking – it’s strawberry season – including Hood strawberries or go berry picking on Sauvie Island. June is also a good time to pick up my favorites – Rainier cherries (the sweet yellow-red gradient cherries). Day trips to the Oregon coast are a highlight and hikes before things get slammed with visitors.
And it’s still rose garden season. By June, parts of the city are smelling pretty amazing from all the roses. So check out Washington Park’s Rose garden or Peninsula Park in North Portland.
Portland Weather in June
Note: If you want to know about the weather you can always visit a weather website. But one of the most frequent texts I get from friends about to visit Portland is about the weather. So that’s why I include this weather section. It’s how to interpret Portland weather forecasts by a local. :)
The weather in Portland [Oregon] in June is pretty moderate. Daytime highs average in the low 70s, with nighttime in the low 50s. Plus, June averages only 5 days of rain, with only 1.5″ total rainfall. And by this point in the year, it’s tolerable and the roses and our gardens love it. June also marks summer solstice with 15.5 hours of total daylight, and sunset hovering around 9pm all month long and sunrise around 5:30am. What a delight!
Portland Historical Average June Weather by Day
Here are the High & Low Temperatures by average for June in Portland.