July in Portland is peak summer! It’s one of the best months of the year, for good reason. Summer is in full swing, berry season is here, and the rivers, lakes, and hikes are calling our names. And it’s usually before the heatwave and smoky season of August and September. Ah, the sweet spot of summer!
The weather in Portland in July has an average high temp of 80°, and average low of 57°. And remember that’s average. While there isn’t usually much rain in July, the beginning of the month can still be a bit cooler some years in the low to mid-70s. And we always have some heatwave weekends in the 90s/100s. So here’s more info about visiting Portland in July – weather, events and my favorite things to do in Portland in summer, as a local! Jump to:
Portland July Events
July has some great summer events. Downtown and the Waterfront stay busy all summer long!
- Pedalpalooza Bike Summer – While previous years, Pedalpalooza was the month of June, starting in 2021 and onward it is all summer long. So there’s still time to get your group ride on! July has a Wayne’s World ride, Spice Girls Ride, World Naked Bike Ride, and tons more.
- WNBR – July 30, 2022. The World Naked Bike Ride has moved from June to July for 2022.
- Waterfront Blues Fest – July 1-4, 2022. 4th of July weekend brings the annual waterfront Blues Fest to Tom McCall Waterfront park. Which brings all the boats to the Willamette! This year, the festival is back at waterfront park!
- Portland Craft Beer Festival – July 1-3, 2022. The Fields Park. A beer festival celebrating all Portland beer brewed within the Portland city limits!
- Jazz Fest at Cathedral Park – July 15-17, 2022. In mid-July, there’s Jazz Fest at Cathedral Park in St Johns, in North Portland. It’s a pretty picturesque location and really fun weekend in the park and under the majestic bridge. And a family friendly event.
- Bastille Day Festival – July 16, 2022. The Alliance Française de Portland presents the 20th Annual Bastille Day Festival in celebration of the French National Holiday in the Pearl’s Jamison Square Park. With music, food, and fun.
- Oregon Brewers Festival – July 28-30, 2022. Back in action after 2 years off, The Oregon Brewers Festival is one of the bigger summer brew fests. If you’re visiting or love trying different beers, it’s a good time to check out tons of different NW beers. It definitely has that big festival vibe though, so if big crowds aren’t your thing, just hit up a favorite Portland brewery with an outdoor patio if you’re looking for a more low-key time.
- The Big Float – July 10, 2022. This is the final year for The Big Float – an organized float on the Willamette River by Human Access Project every July for the last ten years! It’s a pretty fun event. If you’re looking to do a DIY float, you can also float the Clackamas River and Sandy River.
- Portland Sketch Comedy Festival – July 21-23, 2022. Back after a couple year break, the Sketch Comedy Festival offers single tickets or passes to comedy shows at Siren Theater.
- Nacho Week – July 11-17, 2022. Another of Portland Mercury’s food and drink events. This one is celebrating $6 nachos at participating restaurants and bars.
- Summer of Slushies – July18 – Aug 14. Another of Portland Mercury’s food and drink events. This one is for $6 slushies for the month of July at participating bars.
Things to Do in Portland in July
Get your summer on! July is full of outdoor activities to enjoy in Portland and the rest of Oregon. Beyond all the summer events, July is a great season for berry picking (blueberries and blackberries are July crops) on Sauvie Island. Farmers markets are also full of amazing crops. July is also a great time to hike, camp and get out on our lakes and rivers near Portland – paddleboarding and kayaking. Day trips to the Oregon coast, Mt Hood, and gorge are all on my summer bucket list. July is also the start of many city-wide activities like Movies in the park, music in the park, and Sunday Parkways. Along with concert series at Oregon Zoo called Zoo Concerts and at McMenamins Edgefield’s Concerts on the Lawn. And other neighborhood events like Mississippi Street fair, Hawthorne Street Fair and more.
Portland Weather in July
Note: If you want to know about the weather you can always visit a weather website. But one of the most frequent texts I get from friends about to visit Portland is about the weather. So that’s why I include this weather section. It’s how to interpret Portland weather forecasts by a local. :)
The weather in Portland [Oregon] in July is pretty hot. Daytime highs average in the 80s, with nighttime in the high 50s. July also averages only 2 days of rain, with just 0.5″ total rainfall. We also have a lot of daylight in July to make use of the nice weather – 15.5 hours of total daylight. Sunset moves from around 9pm to 8:40p by the end of the month, and sunrise around 5:30-6am.
Portland Historical Average July Weather by Day
Here are the High & Low Temperatures by average for July in Portland.