Ah Portland in spring – the worst is over! Every year it’s the same feeling, like by the end of February you begin to believe that the grey and rain is just not going to end this time. But it does and it’s always worth it. Seeing blossoms all across the city makes me a little giddy. Summer is coming friends! But first, let’s savor some fine spring weather and adventures.
Here are some things I love about spring in Portland…
- cherry blossoms at Waterfront Park
- blossoms – in general, all around the city – plum, apple, cherry – say yes to blossoms
- escaping the rain
- Japanese gardens
- last basketball games of the season
- rum horchata at Por Que No
- rollerskating at Oaks Park
- Tulip Festival! (technically in Woodburn)
- fair weather biking – can we all agree it’s just more fun in nice weather?
- colorful macarons – make ’em, buy ’em, eat ’em!
- laughing yourself silly at Bridgetown Comedy Fest
- new bike accessory shopping or bike spring tuneup
- Mt Hood loop – day trip!
- PSU farmer’s market weekend (chard!)
- mud hiking at council crest
- Rose Festival at Waterfront park
- spiced chai at Extracto Coffee
- first spring flowers on walks in the neighborhood
- cheese plates at The Observatory in Montavilla
- OMSI After Dark – adult hour!
- spring trips to the coast
- Cheers to Belgium beers festival
- antiquing in Sellwood
- spring sunsets (& gaining an hour of daylight) – praise be!
- outdoor brunch again!
- meandering the Eastbank Esplanade
- shows at Doug Fir or Mississippi Studios
- beers by the fire at Base Camp Brewing
- waterfall hikes in the Gorge
- the start of Pedalpalooza (most of June is still spring – not summer!)
- waving farewell to spring with summer equinox from the Hawthorne Bridge
- Planning out all those summer adventures – 13 weeks full!
What’s your favorite thing about spring?
Portland Spring was originally published in 2013, and has been updated for 2015.