Ah Portland in spring – the worst is almost over! Every year it’s the same feeling, like by the end of February you begin to believe that the grey and rain is just not going to end this time. But it does and it’s always worth it. Seeing blossoms all across the city makes me a little giddy. Summer is coming friends! But first, let’s savor some fine spring weather and adventures.
Here are things I love about spring in Portland, Oregon…
- cherry blossoms at Waterfront Park
- blossoms – in general, all around the city – plum, cherry, whatever – say yes to blossoms
- escaping the rain
- Japanese gardens
- a visit to Portland Nursery to plan your spring garden
- last basketball games of the season
- smell the roses at Peninsula Park in North Portland or the International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park
- rum horchata at Por Que No
- rollerskating at Oaks Park
- Tulip Festival! (in Woodburn)
- fair weather biking – can we all agree it’s just more fun in nice weather?
- colorful macarons – make ’em, buy ’em, eat ’em!
- laughing yourself silly at Bridgetown Comedy Fest
- new bike accessory shopping or bike spring tuneup
- Mt Hood loop – day trip!
- PSU farmer’s market weekend (hello, chard!)
- mud hiking at council crest
- Rose Festival at Waterfront park
- spiced chai at Extracto Coffee
- first spring flowers on walks in the neighborhood
- cheese plates at The Observatory in Montavilla
- walks in Washington Park’s Hoyt Arboretum and magnolia trees in bloom
- OMSI After Dark – adult hour!
- spring trips to the coast
- Cheers to Belgium beers festival
- antiquing in Sellwood
- spring sunsets (& gaining an hour of daylight) – praise be!
- outdoor brunch again!
- meandering the Eastbank Esplanade
- shows at Doug Fir or Mississippi Studios
- beers by the outdoor fire at Portland breweries (RIP Basecamp Brewing)
- waterfall hikes in the Gorge & post-hike at Thunder Island Brewing
- the start of Pedalpalooza (most of June is still spring – not summer!)
- waving farewell to spring with summer solstice from the Hawthorne Bridge
- Planning out all those summer adventures – 13 weeks full!
What’s your favorite thing about spring?
Portland Spring Events
Spring is officially March 20, 2021 through June 20, 2021, although we often think of the spring season as the months March through May. Here are our favorite Portland spring events (for the latest full list, check out Travel Portland’s list).
Portland in March
- Cherry Blossoms at Waterfront Park – mid-March to early April
- Portland Dining Month: TBD for 2021 – 3 course meals for cheap from fancy restaurants!
- Shamrock Run: (postponed to 2022!) – Waterfront Park (St Patrick’s Day run)
- Portland Public Schools Spring Break – March 20-28, 2021
- Tulip Fest at Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm, Woodburn, OR (late March to early May)
>>More about Portland in March – events, weather, and things to do.
Portland in April
- Holland America flower gardens, Woodland, Wa (mid-April to mid-May)
- Easter – April 4
- Earth Day – April 22
>>More about Portland in April – events, weather, and things to do.
Portland in May
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta, Waterfront park (early May)
- Mother’s Day brunch or picnic!
- Sunday Parkways bike rides begin (mid May)
- Crafty Wonderland Spring Market
- Portland Rose Festival (late May to early June)
Portland in June
- Pedalpalooza – month of June
- Portland Pride – second weekend of June
- Portland Beer Week – third week of June
- Summer Solstice – June 20
Portland in Spring was originally published in 2013, and has been updated for 2021.