October in Portland is the start of our rainy season. But there are always a few weekends of sunny warm weather still. One weekend you might be camping in 70 degree weather and the next it pours an inch of rain with fierce winds. You just never know what you’re going to get with the weather in October. So most of my October plans are a bit more spontaneous and last minute – especially when it comes to outdoor adventures. October is also a nice time to welcome fall and not feel guilty for spending a bit more time inside. Drinking an extra cup of coffee and getting stuff done. Maybe that’s why there’s so much creativity in the Pacific Northwest. So here’s more info about visiting Portland in October – events, weather, and the best things to do in Portland, Oregon at the start of fall.
Portland October Events
- Pumpkin Patches and Corn Mazes on Sauvie Island – opens late September. Things can get wildly busy on the weekends, so go early or try a weekday for more low-key fun.
- Greek Festival – October 2-4 (canceled 2020)
- Portland Marathon – October 4 – (canceled 2020). The Portland marathon is usually the first weekend in October and as the route runs all around the city and Willamette River, even if you’re not running, it can be a fun race to watch and cheer on the runners.
- West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta – mid-October Tualatin
- Portland Film Festival – October 12-18, 2020
- Apple Tasting at Portland Nursery – 2nd & 3rd week of October (canceled 2020). While you can also go apple picking in Hood River, a fun in-town event is the apple tasting festival at Portland Nursery where you can taste a ton of different apples.
- Portland Fashion Week – Oct 22-24, 2020. Portland isn’t the first city that comes to mind when you mention fashion. But this event is pretty cool for a different take on Portland.
- Zombie Walk – Halloween weekend
Things to Do in Portland in October
I’ve written a lot about my favorite things about fall in Portland. But October is still a great time to get last minute summer fun in. You can still go kayaking or SUP on a warm day or camping. But the best things to do in Portland, Oregon in October are all about the changing seasons – fall hikes, still time to indulge in some fresh hop beers and trying all the delicious food and drinks Portland has to offer.
Portland Weather in October
Note: If you want to know about the weather you can visit a weather website. But one of the most frequent texts I get from friends about to visit Portland is about the weather. So that’s why I include this weather section. It’s how to interpret Portland weather forecasts by a local. :)
The weather in Portland [Oregon] in October is pretty unpredictable. One thing you can count on is less daylight hours from an earlier sunset. By the end of October, we’ve lost over an hour and half of daylight each day, with sunset starting the month around 7pm and ending the month at 6pm. (sunrise starts at 7am and moves to 7:50am). So with that, even if temperatures are warmer, there’s just not the same daylight to keep that warmth with only 11 hours of total daylight.
The average October temperatures are highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low-mid 40s. It’s also the first month of big rains after summer. Which by the time it hits, we’re usually ready for it as wildfire season usually peaks in September. October averages 9 days of rain and 3.6″ of rainfall.
Portland Historical Average October Weather by Day
Here are the High & Low Temperatures by average for October in Portland.
And with that, I wish you a happy October (or planning)!