November in Portland is full on fall colors and a race to enjoy fall before the rain and wind knock all the leaves off the trees! Because November is one of the wettest months of the year, with almost 6.5 inches of rain! This is the month to have some indoor activities planned and be geared up for rainy and cold weather for any outdoor adventures. That said, there are always some crisp bright days where the leaves are popping! So here’s more info about visiting Portland in November – weather, events, and the best local things to do in Portland, Oregon in the middle of fall. Jump to:
Portland November Events
- Portland Trailblazers Season – home games Nov 5-30, 2021
- Portland Book Festival – November 8-13, 2021. Previously called Wordstock, get your book nerd on with Portland Book Festival. Author events, writing workshops and more, this event is now an almost two week event.
- Shot & Beer Week – Nov 8-14, 2021. Another of Portland Mercury’s self-created food and drink events. 1 shot, 1 beer $8 at various Portland bars.
- Disney on Ice Dream Big Tour – Nov 11-14, 2021. The stories of Moana, Coco, Frozen, & Aladdin at Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum.
- Snowvana by Mt Hood Film Festival – Nov 19-21, 2021. Get stoked for winter at the Oregon Convention Center with films, music, gear ski swap, and more.
- Christmas Tree Lighting – Nov 26, 2021. Pioneer Courthouse Square. The day after Thanksgiving, a 75 foot Douglas Fir Christmas tree is lit up in Pioneer Courthouse Square downtown.
- Christmas Tree Cutting Permits – Nov 11, 2021 – first available date to cut your own tree from US Forest Service
- Columbia Gorge Model Railroad Club Show – Nov 13-14 weekend (for 3 weekends) this annual train show in NE Portland is pretty cool to see – both for train enthusiasts and families.
- Beyond Van Gogh – Nov 19 – Jan 9, 2022. This immersive art exhibit features artwork by Van Gogh, along with lights and music. Oregon Convention Center
- Christmas Light Displays – ZooLights, Winter Wonderland, Bike the Lights and more start after Thanksgiving.
- Give!Guide – annual giving event to donate to local nonprofits in the Portland metro area. Nov 1 – Dec 31, run by Willamette Week. Big Give Days: Nov 4, 10, 18, 24, 30.
- Portland Concerts – the best resources for live music listings is WWeek’s Music Calendar (they also have art/performance/show listings), and Portland Mercury’s Music Calendar now by EverOut (and if it’s too cluttered, tap the star “Recommended” to see fewer listings).
- Portland Cocktail Week – mid-November TBD 2021. This mid-November event is all about celebrating the Portland cocktail scene. And with cocktail specials at area bars it’s a not just for industry folks.
>>Read more about all the Portland Christmas Events that start the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Things to Do in Portland in November
There are so many great things to do in Portland in fall. And November is prime fall time before the hectic holiday season arrives. Our favorite things to do in Portland, Oregon in November are celebrating fall – fall hikes in the gorge, hiding out inside drinking coffee, Blazers games starting again, checking out all the different trees at Hoyt Arboretum in Washington Park with a hike to Pittock Mansion, enjoying seasonal beers, and getting takeout from all our favorite Portland restaurants.
And fall drives on the Historic Columbia Highway and waterfall hikes are also wonderful this time of year. Plus, Mt Hood usually gets its first big snow fall in late November. So a visit up to Timberline Lodge for hot chocolate and playing in the snow in Mt Hood National Forest. November 5-7 also marks the first of this season’s King Tides at the Oregon Coast (followed by Dec 3-5, 2021 and Jan 1-3, 2022). So consider a day trip from Portland, but be cautious with king tides and sneaker waves!
Portland Weather in November
Note: If you want to know about the weather you can visit a weather website. But one of the most frequent texts I get from friends about to visit Portland is about the weather. So that’s why I include this weather section. It’s how to interpret Portland weather forecasts by a local. :)
The weather in Portland [Oregon] in November is cold and wet. Honestly, it feels like Portland winter starts in November! As for daylight, with the time change, November averages 9.5 hours of total daylight, starting the month with a 5pm sunset and ending the month with a 4:30pm sunset. Sunrise moves from about 7am to 7:30am. This means it’s dark when you wake up and dark when you go to sleep. Ahh fall and winter in Oregon. We need to hop on the hygge trend of Scandinavia for winter nesting.
The average November temperatures are highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 40s. Combined with the rainfall, wind, and humidity, November can feel downright wintery. November is the 2nd wettest month of the year and averages 15 days of rain and 6.4″ of rainfall.
Portland Historical Average November Weather by Day
Here are the High & Low Temperatures by average for November in Portland.
And with that, I wish you a happy November (or planning for November)!