August in Portland is the busiest and hottest month of the year. Locals and tourists are out making use of every spare second of nice weather. Hiking, biking, patio dining and drinks – everything moves outside in summer in Portland. August can also bring some too hot weather. Most daily highs average in the low 80s though, but there are always 90-100s days sprinkled throughout the month. So here’s more info about visiting Portland in August – weather, events and my favorite local things to do in Portland in summer. Jump to:
Portland August Events
August has some fun summer events. Downtown and the Waterfront stay busy all summer long!
- Pedalpalooza Bike Summer – TBD. While all the previous years, Pedalpalooza was the month of June, for 2021 it’s all summer long. So there’s still time to get your group ride on!
- Adult Soapbox Derby – TBD. This annual event in mid August at Mt Tabor is a Portland classic to watch. You never knew what you were missing until you see adults hurtling themselves down the hills of Mt Tabor on their themed “float” like contraptions. Good old fashioned fun.
- Pickathon – August 4-7, 2022. After a couple years off, Pickathon is back! While Pickathon started a bit smaller as an “indie roots festival” in Happy Valley, Oregon (just outside of Portland), each year it gets more and more popular and seems to snag bigger acts. It’s usually the first weekend in August, and almost always the hottest weekend of the year! It’s one of Portland’s favorite music festivals.
- Bridge Pedal – August 14, 2022. Every year, Portland bridges are shut down for one day for a car-free bike ride. You do have to register for this paid event and there are different course lengths. If you’re looking for a more casual ride, the City of Portland puts on Sunday Parkways throughout summer weekends in different quadrants of town.
- Portland Fashion Week – August 16-21, 2022. Portland isn’t the first city that comes to mind when you mention fashion. But this event is pretty cool for a different take on Portland.
- Sunday Parkways – East Portland – August 21, 2022. Sunday Parkways is a car-free bike ride on various routes throughout the city. It’s a much-loved City of Portland program in different quadrants of the city to highlight neighborhood greenways and bikeways and is a family-friendly event!
- Hood to Coast Relay – August 26-27, 2022. Hood to Coast is literally a relay race from Mt Hood through Portland all the way to the Oregon coast. HTC is so popular now that it’s become more of a destination race. And you know it’s Hood to Coast weekend when you see a constant stream of cargo vans around Portland, carrying the relay crews.
- Burger Week – TBD August 16-22, 2021. This Portland Mercury food and drink event offers $6 special burger deals and creations all over town.
- Portland Beer Week – TBD August 20-29, 2021. PDX Beer Week, which historically has been in June, is full of fun beer events (like Portland Beer & Cheese Festival), collaborations and tap takeovers and releases, popups and more. And it’s not just for industry people, but fun for more casual beer drinkers and locals too.
Things to Do in Portland in August
August is for camping, hiking, coast trips, and getting out on the water of an Oregon river or lake. Summer events, beer festivals, concerts, berry picking, farmers markets, day trips and enjoying all that a Pacific Northwest summer has to offer! Day trips like the Fruit loop in Hood River and the central Oregon coast are great spots. It’s also the best month to float the river – both the Clackamas and Sandy River are lower, warmer, and slower in August.
Portland Weather in August
Note: If you want to know about the weather you can always visit a weather website. But one of the most frequent texts I get from friends about to visit Portland is about the weather. So that’s why I include this weather section. It’s how to interpret Portland weather forecasts by a local. :)
The weather in Portland [Oregon] in August is as hot as it gets. Daytime highs average in the 80s, and night in the high 50s. August also averages 2 days of rain, with just 0.8″ total rainfall. Daylight averages about 14 hours, starting the month with an 8:30pm sunset and moving to 8pm. Sunrise moves from 6-6:30am.
Portland Historical Average August Weather by Day
Here are the High & Low Temperatures by average for August in Portland.