This week, I wrote about my travels through Bulgaria last fall. I loved Bulgaria for the amazing history and gorgeous outdoors. Sofia was a surprisingly interesting capital city and I loved being able to get outside and hike in Bansko. If I visit Bulgaria again, I would love to go in winter and see Sofia, the Rila Mountains and Monastery and Bansko.
7 Days in Bulgaria:
- Bucharest, Romania to Veliko Tarnovo – Deciphering Cyrillic in Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
- Sofia – Bulgaria Wishes We All Could Be California Girls
- Rila Mountains – Rila Mountain Monastery
- Bansko – Hiking and Bear Spotting in Bulgaria
- Plovdiv – Coffee & Cigarettes
- Plovdiv to Istanbul, Turkey – Overnight on the Orient Express to Istanbul
If Bulgaria is on your list of places to visit, try finding a cheap flight to Paris or London and then take a local carrier (BulgariaAir) into Sofia, (easyJet now flies to Sofia too), or go overland by train.
Next up, Turkish delights!