Ramen. Macarons. Cheese. French 75. Paneer Roll. Cheese. Thai. IPAs. Cheese. It’s been a lovely winter of eating. It’s also been a few months since I did a ’52 new restaurants’ post. Thanks to our Cook at Home challenge, new restaurant-ing was at a minimum in January, but throw in a few new cities and finally here are all the new lovely places I’ve ventured to eat since Thanksgiving.
60 New Restaurants:
- The Mermaid Tavern, Tampa Florida – very Portlandly. Nice beer selection, and apparently it had just opened that week.
- Agave, St Pete Beach, Florida
- Ricky T’s, Treasure Island, Florida – cougar patrol
- Super Scoop, Treasure Island, Florida – adorable little ice cream shop in Treasure Island
- Pinky’s, Tampa, Florida – Tasty, tasty, I had the stuffed French toast
- Taverna Opa, Orlando, Florida – this was a big restaurant in one of those mall-ish areas, which Orlando seems to just be one big shopping area. Anyway, the food was decent regardless. And I ordered ouzo. :)
- Goofy’s Candy Company, Lake Buena Vista, Florida – I went to Disney World. Like, I went to Downtown Disney. And all I got was this handful of jelly beans?
- House of Blues, Downtown Disney, Florida – 30 minutes in the land of Disney and I needed a drink. Joking. Kind of.
- Datz, Tampa, Florida – some reviews on Yelp said it was Portlandy. It wasn’t. But it was still a tasty breakfast. (Maybe because there’s a bearded man that works there?)
- La Creperia Cafe, Tampa, Florida – mmm crepes in Ybor City
- Pho Quyen Vietnamese, Tampa, Florida – this place had really good diy fresh rolls (and they let me order tofu)
- La Teresita, Tampa, Florida – Cuban food? Check! And tasty cafe con leche
- Nitally’s, St Petersburg, Florida – Thai & Mexican? It’s actually an amazing combo. Someone please open a cart here in Portland with Thai + Mexican!
- Urban Taco, DFW Airport, Texas – Airport food that isn’t downright foul? I’ll take it.
- Portobello Vegan Trattoria – Finally got around to trying this place. Apparently it was new menu night. The burger was good, the gnocchi was alright. Honestly, I was a little disappointed for the price and taste, as I’ve heard so many amazing things about this place.
- Old Town Pizza
- Black Cat Cafe
- The Buzz Cafe & Espresso Bar, Vancouver, BC – cozy little place to get some work done.
- Raw Canvas, Vancouver, BC – a bar with art (that you create). Cool idea. Portland should have one.
- Granville Island Brewing, Vancouver, BC – winter ale. nom.
- Roaming Dragon food truck, Vancouver, BC – tasty
- Robo Taco
- Greek Islands, Kennewick, WA
- Boke Bowl – my new favorite ramen place in PDX
- Interurban – cool new bar old-timey bar on Mississippi
- Mother’s Bistro & Bar – yep, first time. Finally.
- Pelican Pub & Brewery, Pacific City, Oregon – one of my new favorite destinations on the Oregon coast.
- The Schooner, Netarts, Oregon
- Cha’ba Thai
- Townshend’s Tea House – I survived no coffee month!
- Tea Zone
- Mi Mero Mole
- Hop Haven Beer Bar & Bottle Shop
- PaaDee – a new Thai place 28th aka “restaurant row”
- Amnesia Brewering – finally stopped in here.
- The Cheese Bar – glorious, glorious cheese. I got a little carried away.
- Tortas Frontera, Chicago O’Hare airport – airport foooood
- The Tippler, New York, NY – cool cocktail bar near the Meatpacking District
- Spice Market, New York, NY – I don’t even remember all the amazing food I ate here — crispy brussel sprouts, samosas, ginger margaritas, coconut sticky rice. And the building is like a work of art.
- The Otheroom, New York, NY – cool little wine/beer bar in the West Village
- Brooklyn Bagel & Coffee Co, New York, NY – requisite NYC bagel. Check.
- some food cart, New York, NY – why yes, I did eat a hotdog.
- Kati Roll, New York, NY – cheap and tasty eats. I could have eaten about 10 of the Paneer roll.
- Schiller’s Liquor Bar, New York, NY – got in before the crowds for burgers and margaritas. American food, but really cool atmosphere on the Lower East Side.
- Back Room, New York, NY – a speakeasy (prohibition era apparently) on the LES. Fun vibe before it got too packed.
- The Summit Bar, New York, NY – cozy little cocktail bar in the East Village.
- Cornerstone Cafe, New York, NY – when Clinton Street Baking company has a crazy wait, this seemed to be the next best alternative. Tasty.
- The Whiskey Brooklyn, New York, NY – you would think by it’s name that it would be more… whiskey-ish and less… frat boy-ish. I was served IPA from a can. C’est la vie.
- Lulu’s, New York, NY – Free pizza with a pint? NYC you have been redeemed. Cool little dive bar in the Greenpoint area of Brooklyn.
- Remedy Diner, New York, NY – pre-brunch breakfast.
- The Smith Restaurant, New York, NY – by the same people who own Schiller’s. Great brunch place, had a lovely Ranchero scramble.
- Drop Off Service, New York, NY – finally a NYC bar with a serious beer selection and great prices. Spent an afternoon here (don’t judge) catching up with friends. $3 happy hour pints, and a few Oregon beers representing :)
- Luzzo’s, New York, NY – Seriously good pizza in the East Village.
- Tiny’s Giant Sandwich Shop, New York, NY – on a quest for breakfast, we ended up with lunch on the Lower East Side.
- Almondine Bakery, New York, NY – stopped in for macarons and a coffee after walking across the Brooklyn Bridge to DUMBO.
- some random food cart, New York, NY – sampling NYC staple of a pretzel.
- Momofuku Noodle Bar, New York, NY – by chance arrived exactly when they opened so were seated immediately. Everything was amazing, especially the lime/beet swirl soft-serve, and the beet salad with smoked ricotta, hazelnut and endive.
- Bua, New York, NY – After attempting to go to the PDT speakeasy across the street, and seeing that there was an hour wait, we opted for Bua across the street. Nice way to end our NYC trip.
How it all started: I had a goal to visit one new restaurant a week.
1-52: Go To 52 New Restaurants – 30 Before 30 List
53-103: 52 [More] New Restaurants
104-156: 156 New Portland Restaurants, Bars, Coffee Shops in 299 Days
157-208: 208 New Places in One Year
209-260: 52 More New Restaurants: Portland, San Juans & Vancouver, BC
261-312: New Restaurant Fatigue #312!
313-364: New Portland Favs: Rum Club & Via Tribunali + 50 more
What new restaurants have you been to lately?
SiMarch 24, 2012 at 2:48 am
What a great list, I would love to see that journey plotted on Google Maps! Also how many of those meals came with fries??
Love the blog, kind regards, Si